Royal residence of two generations of monarchs, only fifteen minutes away from Lisbon, the National Palace of Queluz is intimately linked with significant figures in Portuguese history. Today it constitutes a major heritage site in Portuguese architecture and landscaping, and contains an important collection which reflects royal taste during the eighteenth and nineteenth century – from Baroque, through Rococo, to Neoclassicism.
The sobriety of the exterior facades of the palace is strikingly contrasting with the elaborate public facades facing inwards, which are prolonged by delicate parterres de broderie of boxwood framed by sixteen hectares of gardens. The gardens are extended along main axes animated by water fountain games and punctuated by statues inspired by classical mythology. The interiors comprise large state rooms, such as the Throne Room, the Music Room and the Ambassadors Room, the royal apartments and the chapel whose gilded carving in the rococo style was to become an important reference in the Lisbon region.The National Palace of Queluz was designed as a summer palace between 1747 and 1789, on the initiative of the second son of King João V, Pedro de Bragança, who owned the Casa de Campo de Queluz, the former residence of the Marquis of Castelo Rodrigo.
Open daily apart from 1 January and 25 December:
Palace timetable: 9am – 6pm (last ticket and last admission: 5.30pm)
Gardens timetable: 9am – 6.30pm (last ticket and last admission: 5.30pm)
Check the ongoing programming at www.parquesdesintra.pt to find out about the different activities, events and experiences available in this location.
For further information: firstname.lastname@example.org; +351 219 237 300
To consult the new conditions for accessing PSML spaces, please click here